Friday, August 22, 2008

Opening our eyes

Katie discovered opening her eyes in the water yesterday right before swim lessons. While John had his lesson, Katie and I went into the spa to "practice". She wouldn't push off the side, so I got an idea to have her walk underwater from one side to the other. She thought this was a good idea. She held my hand and walked, holding her breath and going under. I had read in the sensory integration book that some kids need to feel "grounded" -- often sitting with one foot on the ground or needing a stool when on the toilet. I thought this philosophy may help Kate in the pool since she seems so scared if she is not holding on to someone. By walking across the spa underwater, she was able to feel her body and where it was going, making her feel in control. She kept doing it, and opened her eyes one of the times. She came up so excited! "I saw your bathing suit underwater Mommy!" She wanted to keep doing it. She even walked without holding my hands once she could see and could keep an eye on where my hands were if she needed them. The "accidental" opening of her eyes has progressed her swimming lessons a ton. What a difference a day makes!

And what a lesson to be learned -- open your eyes and try to touch the ground, and if nothing else, remember that tomorrow is another day.

No comments: